Saturday, February 13, 2010

Alisa

So, here goes. If you're going to brave the whole post, get a snack and settle in-I'm sure it will be a long one.

As you probably know, we were expecting to welcome our second little girl into the world early. Not only was Amelie very early, but I was dilating early as well. Jeff and I were on the ready all the time, always waiting for water to break or contractions to come. I actually started having lots of false labor after that first appointment where she told me I was at 3.5. This lasted for over 2 weeks! I even rushed home from work one day because of it, but alas... nada. Well, I went in for my regular check up on Wed., Feb 3rd at 10:30 am (with my bags in the car, as instructed.) I was at a 4+, about 80%. She then stripped my membranes... but nothing happened. Through the appointment, though, we talked about how things had been going for me, and how far I lived from the hospital. Dr. Brown just kept saying "We don't want any babies being born in cars" and with that, she called down to L&D and got me in for just about 30 minutes from then. We went and got a little lunch at Jeff's mom's and gave Amie lots of kisses before heading back to the hospital. I also got a blessing, as I was apprehensive about having a long, difficult labor since I was being induced at 38.5 weeks. (You'll see those fears were quite unfounded.)

We made it back to the hospital around 1, but between registration and other patients, I wasn't changed and settled in until about 1:30. (And I pre-registered, too! I'd hate to be in labor and check in without having done that.) My sister Mallory arrived about then, too. Dr. Brown had told me that when I got settled in, she wanted me to get the epidural right away or else I probably wouldn't have time if I got the Pitocin first. So, we waited for the anesthesiologist, and I was meanwhile not even feeling contractions or anything. He was in a C-section, and I guess they have to stay the entire time. So we waited and waited and waited and a little after 3, Dr. Brown came in and said to go ahead and start Pitocin since I'd already been there for 2 hours and wasn't even laboring. So, they induced me and she broke my water. I'm serious, the contractions came on almost immediately, and I was NOT happy. Natural childbirth was never a goal of mine! Luckily, the anesthesiologist came in right after that, and I finally got an epidural at 3:30. I don't know why, but this time it was much stronger, and I could not even move my legs - at all!

Things moved pretty quickly after that, though the whole time, things were very calm. It took me under an hour to dilate to 6, then an hour to get from 6 to 9+. Up until then, Alisa's heart rate and everything looked good. Once we got to 9+, and like, 95% effaced, it just wouldn't go that last tiny bit, and Alisa's heart rate started dropping really low during contractions. Dr. Brown came down and upon checking, realized she was facing straight up and probably couldn't move down the canal. She reached her hand up there and turned her to the side, and literally within seconds I was 10/100% and pushing. About 3 or 4 contractions and maybe 8 minutes later, Alisa was born! That was at 5:20. I didn't think I could beat Amelie's quick and easy labor, but we sure did - not even 2 hours. She was 7 pounds 10 ounces and 20 inches long. She has resemblances to Amie, but seems to look like me, actually! She's definitely a louder crier than Amie was, but doesn't cry much. We've been blessed with great babies. So far. :)

Afterward, I didn't even feel like I'd just given birth. For about a day, I felt great! Then the next few days, it got much, much worse before I started feeling better. Still, this recovery has been much kinder to me overall. Two weeks later, I'm already feeling human and going out sometimes. I'm thinking I'll be able to pick up short shifts at work starting the first of March. (Which would be nice, because I've been working up some serious cabin fever!)

Anyway, we're both home and doing great. She's a lovely (sleepy) addition to our family. Amelie loves her, but sometimes loves a little too hard. :) She plays with her baby dolls even more now, wrapping them up in blankets and rocking them. It is quite adorable. Jeff was blessed enough to get 2 weeks off, paid, and that has been the biggest blessing to me! He's going crazy at home, but for me, it has made this time bearable and fun. I'm not completely exhausted 24/7 like I would otherwise be. He goes back to work tomorrow, and for his sake I'm glad, but I will sure miss him being here at 2am. (I may be singing a more tired tune by next week!)

Thank you to everyone who helped with watching Amelie, bringing food and gifts. We love you all!

Waiting...
Still waiting.
Bam, there she was!
Look at her poor black feet.
Sisters meet.
"I'm not sure about this..."

She has a scrunchy face.
It's starting to hit me.
Proud daddy!
Going home outfit.
Oh my cuteness!
Little angel, finally home.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Congratulations Nikki! She is beautiful! I am glad that you are blessed with short labors. I hoping my second will be shorter and less painful than the first. Have fun with all of the cuddling and love you will get from your little girls! Again, congrats!