Monday, February 8, 2010

Our night with Kyle Korver

I know, I know-I just had a baby and I'm posting about basketball stars before her? I knew if I didn't do it before baby stuff, it would never happen.

For those of you not from Utah, Kyle Korver is one of the Utah Jazz. For those of you who don't watch Jazz basketball, they had been advertising this contest for a long long time-win a night with Kyle Korver. Jeff, offhandedly, sent in a text to enter the contest. Just once. And forgot about it. But of course, he won. That's his luck and everyone else's. We were pretty psyched-we aren't necessarily the world's biggest KK fans, but it'd be cool to meet him, plus it included a limo ride and swanky dinner at Devereaux Mansion. We went at the allotted time (with 24 other couples,) and the limo had taken over the first batch of people-a little more than a third of us. We actually expected lots of girls, but the vast majority were couples or 2 dudes together. We waited our turn and then the driver returned (after circling a few times-he couldn't get the super stretch in the parking lot.) We were about the cutoff to make the next group if he took the same number of people, and there were 4 couples behind us. The driver actually insisted that all of us get in this second trip. It was quite packed, and being 38.5 weeks pregnant, I didn't want to shimmy all the way in, so we asked to be last. This was a huge mistake-by the time everyone else got in, they were already grossly over-full and quite illegally packing the car. I wish I had just been firm about not wanting to get in. Jeff (and 4 other people) sat on the seat by the door and I got on his lap. Ever sat on someone's lap as a full grown adult? Not comfy. Ever done it with a full grown baby in your belly? Not possible. But I did it. I was basically sitting on the door, which was open enough for me to stick all my fingers out of, by the way.
But that was the worst, and once we were there, everything else was great. They had excellent hors d'oeuvres and drinks with a chamber orchestra, then a personal photo with Kyle. He gave me a rose and Jeff an autographed ball. Then we went down to our assigned tables and were with two other couples-an older father-daughter and a grandma-granddaughter. (I felt so bad for the granddaughter. Grandma kept telling the story over and over about how she missed a basketball game and had to run laps the next day for Kyle. She looked pretty embarassed.) Even after hors d'oeuvres, we really put it away. We had an excellent leek chowder type soup, rolls, salad, more rolls, then I had chicken wellington, Jeff filet mignon, with vegs, then they brought us apple pie with ice cream. I couldn't eat it-that's how you know I was super-pregnant. Throughout dinner, Kyle came and sat at each table just to talk for about 15 minutes. Jeff and I both agreed on 2 things-first, he's actually more attractive in person. And second, he's incredibly personable and nice. It was comfortable and entertaining to chat with him. He told us some stories about his family (like knocking out his brother's tooth in a friendly family basketball game and how all his family for like 3 generations or something all have K names) and made us like him, in a totally non-publicity kind of way.
We got instructions on how to access the photos they took, and a limo ride back to our car, and that was it. It was pretty fun and a good way to spend my last night baby-less (unbeknownst to me, that is.)

PS. I was gonna post a picture but, I hate them all so I didn't.

1 comment:

Kate & Omar Spilsbury said...

you should post a picture anyhow... i want to see. By the way congrats on the new arrival!!! I need to call you.