Thursday, August 26, 2010

Family Updates

There's nothing special about today to go for updates, but I felt that need to chronicle in me, so here goes. (I kinda skipped Alisa's 6 month apt. update :/ )

At Alisa's appointment, she was in the 70's for her height, but only the 40's (?) for weight (I lost the exact numbers.) Her head size jumped up to the 80's, though!! We thought she'd be safe, but guess not. (Amie's now off the chart for head size... poor girls.) So, she is definitely gonna taller than her older sis and is currently still real skinny despite the fact that she eats like a pig! This little thing will eat anything in sight-and tries to on every given occasion. She gets 3 regular meals of baby food/cereal a day, plus all her regular bottles and now we're adding in at least 2 snacks, and she still acts like she's always starving! Now that she's no longer fighting reflux and spit up, she is quite a happy baby! Of course, she is also just entering the separation anxiety phase, though, so we'll see how long that lasts. Really, though, she's very mid mannered and pleasant and has the best smiles. My favorite is that when you're holding her and have a mutual smile moment, she burrows her face into your shoulder or chest in a snuggle, all bashful-like. She got her first tooth (bottom front right) just this Wednesday, as well as her first real movement that could be classified as crawling. She seems to have forgotten it, but is always turning, rocking, doing push ups, etc, so it'll be no time. She thinks she has to pull up on everything, too. Walking won't be too far behind, I'd wager!

Amelie has been all over the place lately-she has comfortably moved into her terrible two's. It's so strange because she LOVES other kids, especially Lisie, but will out of nowhere steal their toy and say "mine!" or even occasionally hit them. We've started doing timeouts, and they are actually fairly effective with her. The first one we did with her just broke her heart. We followed it with a discussion (toddler-sized) and lots of loves. She likes to draw on EVERYTHING, especially herself and walls, and eats all the day long. She's still in mid-low percentiles for her size.
She has become a little parrot/mirror, too, repeating words we don't necessarily want her to learn, like crap (thanks grandma!) and freak (that was me) and stupid (dad.) I was sweeping today, and of course she wanted to "help" so when I was done I handed over the broom, and the first thing she did was look at me and say "move. move. move!" I guess she does it just like mommy, huh?
We have contemplated potty training, and have given it a few weak attempts. We go back and forth all the time about whether or not she's ready. It's probably more about mom and dad committing to watch her well enough to get her to the potty. Soon!
My favorites are things I've mentioned before, but they're only getting better. She is a singer and a dancer!! She croons along to almost anything and now encourages us (strongly) to join her in her dancing. Amie goes absolutely gaga over anything Disney princess, and my new #1 is when she comes up to me and says "Oh, mommy' boofull." or Pwetty or Coot. She also can't be bothered to ride in a shopping cart or stroller. She thinks she is so big. She's really great though, about holding my hand in the street and helping push. I really can't believe how big she IS getting, though, but what else is new?

Here's a little parents update, haven't done that for awhile.
Don't know if I mentioned that Jeff and I got new callings a few months back. He became the Sunday School President and loves it! He gets to teach auxiliary classes (like Temple Prep right now) and I always come join them cause I've got VIP privileges. I was called to be Ward Choir director. It's a love-hate relationship. I love choir itself and I love being able to go to adult meetings again, but I'm not the most gifted director there is. (If you've been in any of the many wards where I was some sort of chorister, you can attest, and that's easier!) It's strange to think I used to want to do that with my life (although I think it would be easier with a group that was on the same general musicianship level, unlike ward choir.) Now I just wish I could be IN a choir for my life. Anyone wanna pay me for that? Anyway, I think I am improving a little, but it's a good opportunity for all the reasons aforementioned-musical and otherwise.
As far as work, Jeff's back to graves this month. He's happy. I'm not what I'd call "happy" but it'll at least be a little easier now that I'm not fighting stay-up-all-night-newborn fatigue.
I worked a TON over the main summer months and then hadn't worked for weeks. It was nice to have a little break, but now I'd be happy for a break from the house again. :) I'm still enjoying my job, loving that I get to keep my skills oiled without having to leave my babies. I do know, however, that even though I don't want a full time job, I won't stay forever in a PRN job, it's not my style. I like to get to know the people (patients people) I work with-I work better that way, and as it stands now I rarely know even a few things about a few patients I treat in any given day. It's tough in it's own way, but at least it allows me to leave their problems behind me at the end of the day. This job has also taught me a lot about myself. I thought that whole discovery phase was about over with school, but not even close. I have had to deal with many surprise trials whilst counseling others about coping, etc. and it is a constant reminder to me about living a balanced life. One that I am very grateful for. It's my secret, I get paid to live a little self therapy.

No comments: