Thursday, June 23, 2011

Father's Day

I've got to come right out and say it at the beginning. Jeff just didn't quite get the Father's Day he deserved! Usually, I really try to make it special, but this year all the little things conspired against me, like his work schedule and seeing our families. Namely, I was a little bit distracted and strapped for cash, seeing as we were in Florida for a week before it.
First, I wanted to let Jeff sleep in as much as possible, which he doesn't usually get to do on Sundays (he gets off work at 5am.) So, I cancelled choir, got us all totally ready and woke him up with barely enough time to open presents, get dressed and get out the door. So, obviously, no breakfast in bed, but to make it worse, I totally spaced lunch for him in that timeline! At the last second, I threw some leftovers in the micro for him, but we were already late, so they were still sitting there when we got home. On top of it, he was feeling sick, so it didn't even feel like he got extra sleep to him. The girls and I got dad a sturdy pair of sunglasses, batteries in his favorite watch and the stuff to get our weed wacker working... I know, right? Not even exciting. I also had the girls decorate a big cardstock tie that he valiantly wore all through church. I thought it was adorable, but there's no telling if he had to endure lots of razzing from the dudes.

Amelie modelling said tie. (She put it up there on her own, knew just what it was!)


Along those lines, earlier that morning, Amie found this shirt and put it around her neck like this, and said "I'm daddy! I'm going to work!" so cute.

That was pretty much it for the day. After church, we went to my parents' for dinner, and the meal was great, then he just slept for 4 hours in my grandma's room because he still felt sick and had taken some meds. Also, my sister Jaimie had gotten him a pen made from bullet shells. He digs it. So do his co-workers. Boys.
We got together with Jeff's family Saturday night for some BBQ and hang time. He had to leave earlier than desired to get himself to work.

Reflecting, I really felt bad that I didn't do anything to make the day more special. (He even mentioned, "I thought for sure you were gonna use your chocolate melter for father's day...") So we went to dinner at TGIFriday's for family night the next day, cause he loves to go out. Except for one big spill, the girls were actually pretty good and we enjoyed ourselves.

Now I'm off to go make some chocolates...

No comments: