Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Happy Little Surprise

A little over a month ago, Jeff said we should go down to the Winger's where my sister works for lunch. We did, and my lovely sis Jaimie helped me serve him up a little side...



I thought it was a really fun idea, but he said he saw the baby stuff before. :( I should have warned Jaimie, cause when I passed her the stuff non-chalantly, she couldn't just walk away non-chalantly. It was still fun though.

It was a looooong 4 weeks waiting for our first ultrasound. I know we're not totally out of the woods yet at 10 weeks, but the last time we had an 8wk appointment, it was already very clear that something was wrong, so I felt like if I just saw a heartbeat and our baby actually measured right, I'd be so reassured. We went in for an ultrasound (with a totally new doc again - my old new doc was on maternity leave, boo) Jan 31st. I was just so nervous, and Jeff wasn't until we got there, then he felt nervous too. We were the last appointment, so we had to wait quite awhile in our room, which didn't help.
We talked with our nurse awhile, then the doctor, and then finally went in to look for a baby. When she first started looking, she just kept looking... and looking... and we were starting to get really nervous. Finally, she angled it right and told me that I had a tilted uterus, which was making it hard to see the baby from there, but she found it, and right away we saw the strong heartbeat. She also said the sac looked good, which was one of our indicators of miscarriage before, so it was nice to hear her mention that. It was tough to get a perfect measurement with the positioning right now, but what she got said just shy of 8 wks, so we looked right on track, and kept the due date of Sept. 10th.


Yeah, I had to circle the baby exactly, since it was very hard to see. (If you click the picture, it will enlarge.) We historically get great ultrasounds, but I've read that a formerly normal uterus can tilt after a delivery, so that's what I believe happened after Lisie.

As you may be able to tell, we are still a bit apprehensive, but we are beyond so excited (and terrible at keeping secrets.) We have been trying for this baby for over a year, essentially, and we couldn't be more thrilled. I have been very very very nauseated with this baby, and even threw up, which was a first for me. Plus, I haven't had any back pain like usual, so I have let myself hope for a boy... just a little. 3 girls would be really fun, though, too.
Speaking of nausea, I have still only been losing weight this whole pregnancy, but (the waistband only on) my pants are already getting tighter. It's pretty early, but I guess it all pops out a little more quickly when everything is pre-stretched. It's really strange to see the number on the scale keep falling, and simultaneously having to pack away pants that are too small.
Of course, if you know anything about my former pregnancies, both were almost 2-3 weeks early, and yes, my anniversary just happens to be 12 days before that due date. I'm really (selfishly) hoping for a non-anniversary baby on this one... I'd even be willing to carry a baby for a full 40 weeks! ;) It really puts the kibosh on this year's 5 year anniversary plans, as we have no idea when we'll go. But, seriously, I'm not complaining - we're just glad for the opportunity! We know we are so blessed, and of course I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Ashley Dawn said...

Congrats Nikki! I don't think I knew about this baby... or your miscarriage. My uterus tilted after my first and caused my second to be breech, which stunk. But, I've had no other breech babies and I still had a tilted uterus. Good luck with the third delivery.

PS - the chance of you having a different gender after having the first two the same is 25%. So think boy, but don't get the hopes up until you have an ultrasound.

Jodi said...

Congratulations Nikki!!! I am so excited for you. I know that you have wanted this baby for a long time. Conley was due the day before our anniversary and came early , so I know the feeling. Again, congrats and I hope that you start feeling better soon!

Jared and Andrea said...

Congratulations! Very exciting news. I hope that all goes well with this pregnancy. Looking forward to updates.