Saturday, September 1, 2012

Patience is a Virtue...

...that I am actively learning and cultivating these days!

A little over two weeks ago, I had my first exam, where my doc told me that I was already 3cm, 60% and baby boy was head down and engaged.  After that, I was having contractions and other labor signs every single day, so we expected our appointment a week later to show fair progress.  I had that full week of miserable "Is this labor" analyzation every single second.  Jeff and I even placed our guesses. We went in and the report went like this... 3cm, 60%, and head... NOT engaged.  So, despite all the false labor, there was "No Change" or really, what seemed like regression.  She said if the last exam was during a contraction, the head would seem engaged when it really wasn't... which it wasn't. That was the most frustrating doctor appointment I've ever had!  Although, I did remember to ask if she could guess how big our boy was.  She said high 6 or low 7 lbs, so that was at least reassuring that I didn't already have a 10 pounder in there.  In the week since that appointment, my false labor disappeared almost completely (even though we were trying walking and other labor stimulators,) and then I got to the point where I no longer wanted to deliver, because we were just days away from my wedding anniversary. So, I went back to taking it easy. Plus, I was glad to be able to make it to Alisa's first day of gymnastics, take Amie to school and dance, being sentient for Jeff's first day of school. Strangely, it wasn't as miserable as the week before.  Though I still think about starting labor all the time and am very uncomfortable, I am no longer in the same kind of rush to get to sleepless nights and juggling the family schedule minus momma.  I really am getting better at living in the moment and appreciating now.
After a loooong 9-day wait, I went back in for my 38(.6) week appointment, never more curious as to what the results of my exam would be!  Jeff was working, but was able to come in his uniform.  After a greeting of "You're still pregnant?" and an exam, we were told that I was now almost at 4cm and something I thought very strange.  She said I was more effaced in the front, but no change in back.  So weird - I am surprised with some crazy new tidbit each pregnancy. We talked about induction, though I am really hoping to go on my own this time.  I told her to try to get me in the next day she's on call, but only because she said that there may not be room on the schedule by my next appointment.  I'll decide at next week's appointment if I really want to do it or not.  So far, I think I still want to wait.  Although, the longer I wait, the bigger he'll get.  That means I'll be less likely to go all natural, which is the only reason I'm waiting anyway.  Oh, the Catch 22.

Here I am, 38.7 weeks - officially more pregnant than I have ever been! This boy will be a big one, I fear.


Now that we've passed the anniversary and the weeks of all the firsts, I am back on board to deliver this little guy!  Here's hoping I can hold onto those lessons in patience I learned...

1 comment:

Jared and Andrea said...

I am utilizing patience to find out whether or not baby boy has arrived. I'm sure he has. I am not on FB (I know I'm a loser) and I have no idea what's going on. Hope he is home and healthy and that you're both doing well.