Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wha...?!

So, today I had the first of my once-a-week doctor appointments. This time also began the resurgence of regular manual exams (as in doctor's hand up in my grill.) Well, the first thing I heard was "Baby's measurements are perfect." Great, I think to myself. The second thing I heard (after some squishing of my belly) was "She's head down!" Even better! I am so not wanting a c-section, so that greatly lowers the chances. Then, my doctor asks if I've been having contractions, and I say "Maybe?" I mean I've had some occasional pain or discomfort, but nothing severe and not what I imagined contractions to feel like. Well, once she does her business, she says "Well, looks like you've been having contractions-I'd guess you are dilated to 2.5 or 3."

"WHAT?!" I think in my head. Doesn't that mean I should be moving in, then? I mean, active labor starts at 4 centimeters, right? She says "no guarantees, but this is a great sign she'll be on time." Yeah, I hope so-dilated for 6 weeks? Can that be normal? I don't know the total deal, but she just proceeded to give me all the instructions about when to come in and what to do, not alarmed at all. It majorly caught me off guard-I mean, you need real contractions to dilate!

I thought this quite an interesting development. I would not be sad if Amelie came early, but 4 weeks seems a little scary. On the other hand, we are trying not to get our hopes up and end up having to wait until mid-November, ugh. You can be sure you'll get updates here!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I hated when they asked if I was having contractions. I didn't really know what they were supposed to feel like. But yeah, I was at a 2-3 for a while before she was born. I hope she comes early/on time for you though because it sucks bad when you pass your due date. Best of luck!

Nikki (and Crew!) said...

That makes me feel better-I thought for sure I'd know if I was having them! And thanks-I'm trying not to get my hopes up on having her soon!