Monday, January 25, 2010

Using the little grey cells

You may or may not know that I started working at the University Hospital in the past few weeks. I know, I'm crazy, right? (I'm actually pretty tired of hearing about that, so leave those comments on someone else's blog.)

We saw the job posting back in November, and though I was very hesitant, I applied. The position was a PRN Recreation Therapist for the Psych ward at the U Hospital. Many pros and cons, jsut from that information. First, the pros-this would use my degree and certification (which we've paid lots for) and keep my licensure up to date (not to mention my mad therapizing skills...) Also, it was PRN, meaning I would only fill in as needed for the full time RT's. That was ideal for me, I am NOT looking for a full time, or even part time job. Not anytime soon. It would, get me out of the house more, that's a plus. As for cons-well, I wasn't looking for any job at all, to be honest! I like being home with my daughter, and we get by on our income just fine. Also, I NEVER EVER thought I'd enjoy work in an acute psychiatric unit. It's just what you think-people coming in off attempting suicide, schizophrenics and manics out of control, and much much more, in a lock down setting. However, I have a whole different perspective from this place-some people do it right, and some people do it for the paycheck. I love the unit! So anyway, I became more and more comfortable with it throughout my interviews, and got offered the job. I immediately accepted and started training Jan 11th. I spent my time training on the unit until I felt comfortable, and now I am just waiting. :) I'm hoping to get at least one shift in before I have the baby and can't work forever, but no one's been sick yet. They've been really great, though, and just told me to call them when I'm ready to come back! Other than dealing with all the vaccinations and things I'm supposed to get, it's been great! I'm thoroughly enjoying it, and think I'll end up staying there a long time. (It's the best that I don't ever have to work, my schedule's pretty much up to me.)

PS-keep reading, I did another post right before this!

No comments: