Tuesday, July 12, 2011

To-Do, To-Do, Playing outside is fun to do!

Often in my groups at the hospital, I talk with my patients about mindfulness, and how so often we get into trouble/eat too much/waste our time simply because we are not thinking about it, or being intentional with our extra minutes. I make them make lists, lots and lots of lists. Things they like to do, things they want to try, things that work for them, things that are free, things that will get them out with other people, etc. If people just have some fall backs, some things ready-to-go, they're much more likely to fill their lives with meaningful moments and happy experiences. (You know, instead of looking back and wondering how 3 hours just passed while you were on facebook...)

OK. So what? Lately, I've taken a look at how often my kids are at home and how of course, we are much less patient and loving with each other when we sit around the house all day. Well, I made this list of things. I decided that I am going to, without fail, every single day of the summer, do at least one of these things with my girls. (Outside is ideal, but I included indoor for this rainy weather.) I know, you're thinking "the summer's halfway over?" But, I made this commitment awhile ago, I just haven't blogged about it til now. At first, I thought every single day was a lofty goal for me, but some of the things happen naturally, for example, every Sunday we hang out at grandma's house, check! Not only has it been a piece of cake so far, but it's been FUN! and less frustrating the times we are just home. So, I'm gonna share the list, or most of it, here with you, in hopes that you'll get out, too. Additionally, please leave your go-to activities here in the comments. Then, everyone will have an amazing list of resources for those days. You know the ones I'm talking about. Not good for anyone.

Here's my list:
  • parks, parks, parks - there are SO many if you just look! we're trying a new one each time
  • splash pads
  • visit grandma and grandpa
  • playdate with cousins
  • picnic in the yard
  • go for a walk
  • take dollies for a walk in their stroller
  • play in the sprinkler
  • make cookies/treats
  • deliver treats to family/friends/neighbors
  • outdoor concerts (there are tons in the summer)
  • free summer movie in the park
  • play at a toy store... and leave without purchasing!
  • art/craft time
  • build a fort
  • play dress ups
  • home dance party
  • puzzles
  • hide and seek in the yard
  • museums
  • story time (all libraries and even Barnes and Noble do this free)
  • festivals/parades (your local city fest, or holiday celebrations)
  • fireworks! (I don't know about you, but there's been a fireworks show around our neighborhood every single night this month!! Much less annoying when you're watching.)
  • play fashion photo shoot somewhere new
  • hike
  • fire in the mountains
  • roast marshmallows
  • swim! (don't be limited - think community pools, friends in apartments or even your neighbor's kiddie pool)
  • visit the local shelter and take the dogs for walks/play
  • fast food playplace (for too-hot days... and no, you don't have to buy!)
  • cook a meal together kiddie-style
  • sidewalk chalk
  • movie-theater-style redbox (popcorn, tix, lights down)
  • make a tape/video/album of you for grandparents
  • garden walks
  • bird watch
  • zoo
  • read at the library
  • play at the library
  • check out books/movies from the library
  • scheduled programs at the library (can you tell I like the library?)
  • feed ducks
  • watch airplanes
  • make up stories about people while you people watch with a treat
  • make storybooks
  • play board games (so far all we can handle at my house are Candyland and Chutes and Ladders... on a good day)
  • walking/running/biking trails
  • bubbles!!!
  • go for a drive
  • go for a bike ride
  • Our Utah-specific favorites: International Peace Gardens, Millcreek Canyon, Church History Museum - top floor, Jordan River Parkway
I actually have a lot more info than I posted here, namely free festivals, movies and concerts in the valley, if you want more infos. Here is great list I found as well, if you wanna check it out.

Hopefully this habit continues beyond the summer, right? Thanks for reading, and don't forget to leave your favorites here too!

1 comment:

Jared and Andrea said...

We did a home dance party yesterday. It was awesome. Ethan has even picked up Jared's signature move for shaking his booty (too bad he did it in his poor brother's face). Pretty hilarious.