Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Youth Conference!

I am the 1st counselor for the Young Women in my ward, and this year, we had ward-level Youth Conference. (This is a whole new idea to me - in fact, the way the usually do it in general here in Utah is new to this Floridian.) But, we started planning and decided to rent some cabins by Jordanelle Reservoir and keeping the festivities around there and Midway. I was pumped about going the whole 4 days, but we ended up having an important wedding on day 3, so we were just there for half (Jeff got to come too!) I love love love working with the Youth and really enjoyed being up there with everyone, especially the leaders!
Our sweet facilities.

Jeff keeping the boys in line (our MM activity of improv skits.)
Playin in the Party Cabin.  No really, that's it's actual name.
Meal time!!

Rec room - frequent free time hang out for the youth.
A little s'more time before our star-gazing night.
Swimming in the volcanic crater.  It was literally like 90 degrees in the water, and I think 90 ft to the bottom.

And leave it to Kathy to have her camera going at so-early-we-haven't-had-breakfast-yet hours.  These are the gems you'll get.


Each morning and evening, a pair of kids did a devotional, and for the most part, the kids cooked all our meals.  We did a decision-based hike at Cascade Springs, improv/games, scavenger hunt (made by the Teachers... so...) fire and marshmallows, stargazing fireside led by our Stake President, swimming, and then on the days I was not there, they did service for the camp, a ROPES course (so sad I missed it - that's totally my territory!) had pizza out, and made stars for each person. Though we ended up with a little more free time than was necessary in my opinion, it was a great week. The weather was amazing, plus we had a great view of the dam, mountain, saw deer and there was a creek that ran right by our areas.

I truly love my calling and all the people it allows me to associate with on a regular basis (not to mention stretching me to be better everyday.)

No comments: