Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Girls' Camp

I was lucky enough to get to go to Girls' Camp this year with my Young Women.  I actually skipped the first day, because that was my actual birthday, and I have always been territorial about that.  But, I went up the next day (right after hikes of course... useless there.)  I was blessed enough that my girls saved me a bed, and I even got a second mat on my bed to make it sleep-able for 8 months pregs. My first night there, as we finished up dinner, my ward brought in ice cream with a candle, and had eeeeeeeeeeeveryone sing Happy Birthday to me - how sweet was that?  I was definitely surprised and touched. 
The next few days carried on with crafts, skits, water games, certification, singing with the stars, fireside (with a really, really great object lesson,) devotionals, testimony meeting and on the last morning, a sunrise devotional.  I've always been a very big fan of sunrise/sunset activities, so it was one of my favorites, but there was a lot of grumbling from our girls who were up late the night before, you know, snipe hunting...  Can't forget secret sisters (mine was great,) coming up with roll-call cheers (some of the best were "Feed Me Seymour!" and "Bring out your dead!") the cup game, and generally playing around with everyone - like when the girls decided our single leader was marrying a single YM leader, and that the YW were planning the wedding.  It was a really great time, and I am very glad I sucked up the pregnancy pains to be able to spend it there with them (plus the selfish uplift I get from being there.)
Both the moon and sun visible during our devotional.

 One of the skits, where they brought people up to dance, including Sis. Redd from our ward, in the green.

 Filling up our oil.

 You can call me Tiger.  ... no really, they call me tiger (we had a Sis Lyon and a Sis Bair, so I got dubbed tiger... and of course, decorated my bandana appropriately.)

After arriving home, in true Girls' Camp Fashion, I am sporting 1000billion things.... The anklet I got from Ward secret sister, my tiger from my secret sister, the lanyard they gave us, a wristband to indicate my year, one to indicate my ward, a macrame belt, a t-shirt bracelet (both made during craft time,) my tiger bandana, a glow bracelet, my carrot pin representing our ward theme and finally the necklace with a lighthouse, where I collected beads for each activity.

And, for my own enjoyment... a little sleepy cam:






 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm so jealous! I would love the opportunity to serve with the youth and have yet to be able to. I loved girls camp when I was a young woman so I bet it would be fun as a leader as well. Glad you had such a great time!