Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pioneer Day

We (I) decided to run down to Delta for a bit while Jeff was working and the rest of us were free.  Chris took the girls down with her (she tends our girls on Friday afternoons) while I was at work, then I headed down after.  There were (relatively) not many people there when I arrived around 7 or 8 and I fully expected all the kids to be swimming and playing, but everyone was just chilling eating dinner, not having gone in yet.  They didn't do much that night, but played and talked and ate junk food.

The next day, we had scones (yum!) then went to a reptile zoo in the morning.  The guy was pretty legit, being featured on TV and his snakes have been in recent movies... But that didn't mean the place didn't stink to high heaven.  It was pretty cool, with snakes, lizards, turtles, frogs, even a gator and tons of other random things - tarantulas, birds, etc.  There were many exhibits that were just open - like turtles in a tub - and the gator happened to be one of them.  Kinda freaked out this mom of a very rambunctious 2 yr old, but we escaped without incident.  They had one iguana thing that was out and about, and all the kids enjoyed petting it.  There was also the biggest snakes I'd ever seen in person.  Though we enjoyed it, I was very glad it was a donation day, I would have been sad if I'd been charged 10 bucks to go in.


Later that day we finally went swimming and I just hitched rides in the boat. I held the girls, who both got all scared out of their minds.  Eventually Josh got (forced) Amie on the tube with Steph, Hannah and Ty and she was screaming, scared, but after it was over was very proud that she went.

We had to head home that night to be at our own ward the next morning.


On the actual day, Jeff was up bright and early to work the parade of course.  I convinced him to bring a chair with him, and sure enough, there was a spot open, right up front, so he plopped his chair to save it for us.  We got a prime spot (and even parking) without excessive waiting.  The parade was fun, though a little less fun now that they can't throw candy. The girls enjoyed it.  Afterward, we went to lunch with another cop and his family at Blue Lemon.  I certainly approved, but I still have higher-ups on my favorites list.

That evening, we didn't have plans, so we went with the old standby - BBQ at my mom's!  This time, I forgot the rest of the fireworks and games... oops... so Jeff caught up on some homework and I caught up on the last 3 episodes of Once Upon a Time. (But we enjoy hanging out, as has been mentioned before.)

No comments: